Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Halloween and Birthday Party

So, my boys are going to be ghosts for Halloween... can't get any easier, right!? I was about to buy Jackson a race car driver costume because diapers.com is having 50% off plus and extra 25% off... so it was only going to be $11 with no tax and no shipping... pretty cheap! But then Silvia and I were going through her fabric and found a white piece that was just Jackson's size. Both boys loved being wrapped in the sheet. We fooled around with ideas about making other costumes, but nothing was as easy and low maintanance as a ghost... so the other day I went to Walmart and spent $1.50 on another yard of white fabric for Jake! Halloween costume worries? NO WAY! We had them practice saying "Ooooo" and other ghost sounds and they got a big kick out of that... we are going to put flour in their hair to make it white. :) Now I just have to figure out when Trunk or Treat is! ***Disclaimer*** I would NEVER take my children trick or treating for real in McAllen/Mission. It is SO dangerous. People here don't do it right. They drive from neighborhood to neighborhood with kids running in and out of cars and the streets are literally like an LA traffic jam with children running all over the place. The goal is obviously to see how many bags of candy you can fill from the most neighborhoods! Anyway, it ruins it. I just can't believe how many parents let their kids run amongst the cars like they do. Did I mention how dangerous it is... it's night, dark costumes, barely any street lights... can't see!!! I'm glad I won't have to deal with that next year. I hope :)

Also, I am planning a little birthday party for Jax before he leaves. His bday is Nov 6, but I wanted him to have fun with his friends before he leaves. So I wanted to have his party at a bounce house place but they want $250 for 2 hours... NO. Then I thought about having it at a public park and just reserve some of the covered picnic areas. Has anyone done that? I wonder how much it costs. I am going to call tomorrow. I was also wondering if maybe the library does something for birthdays... any ideas on other cheap places? He is only going to be 4 so I don't want to spend tons of money! Help me brainstorm!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW!! Only $1.50 for 2 costumes? How awesome would that be! We aren't so lucky. Our kids really get into Halloween and have to pick out characters:P This year we went all out... I think you'll have a heart attack if I tell you how much we've spent on their costumes. But it's definitely worth it because they'll get good use out of them. I'll just say that we've paid at least $100 just for 2 of them! I still need to get Tini something.

I think a party at the park would be great! You don't have to worry about a huge clean up before or after the party. I've never done it before, but I'm sure it's not too expensive. Good luck!:)