Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Jake needs structure

I love being home with Jake during the day... but I feel like he has become really needy lately! I think I hear "Mom" about 10,000 times a day. He pretty much starts every sentence with "Mom". That sounds like an exaggeration but it doesn't feel like one to me. I posted the video so you could see... The video is less than 2 minutes and I counted 11 times that he said "Mom". Here's an example... I was doing the dishes yesterday and I told him that I was doing them and couldn't play with him right now... and I explained that it is hard for me to hear him with the water running... So as I was doing the dishes I could hear him playing with his toys and talking to me the whole time... He would get kind of frustrated though, when I didn't respond to him. So I told him that I hear him talking but don't know what he's saying. He said "Just say yes" I didn't get it at first but then I realized he just wanted to know I was listening! He wanted me to say yes, uh-huh, yeah... etc... just to know I was there! It was very sweet. So he rambled on, voice drowned out by the running water, and I would say the occasional "yeah?!?!?" and he played on, content and happy!

So........ all of this "Mom"-ing has led me to think he needs more structure. Jackson and I had a nice schedule and I think it's time for Jake and I to get on a schedule. So I made one up and told Jake about it and he was so excited to have his own schedule! Plus, it will help me be more consistent with his school time. I've been really lazy about school time with Jake, and he needs to keep up with his smart big brother!

1 comment:

Megan said...

That is SO funny!! If my kids know that I can't actually hear them, they MAKE me hear them! lol You are so good to be doing school with him right now. Isn't he the same age as Tini?!! I haven't even started with any of that stuff! I mean he already knows colors and shapes so I thought that'd be good for a little bit. I'm going to try to start doing stuff with him while the other boys are at school next year.