Sunday, February 23, 2014

The start of a humbling journey...

I am beginning to realize that being involved with the military is going to be a very humbling experience. Lately I have a renewed feeling that the decision for Luis to join the Army reserves was the right decision for us... interesting considering he is leaving tomorrow for 3 months of training in San Antonio. I should be feeling the opposite!!! I am definitely not looking forward to being apart... but I can see what this is doing for Luis. When he talks about what he is learning so far in drill and how it feels to be a part of this... it just feels right. I am proud of his commitment and I can honestly say that he is doing this for the right reason. After his first weekend of drill he told me some things the other reservists said... how they were surprised he wasn't there for the money, etc. He is there because he wants to serve the country and be ready if he's called upon. I know there are others like him, but apparently a lot of them kind of sit around during drill. It is so cute to see Luis so anxious to learn. I know he will go far! A few humbling experiences... for me to hear about and even more so for Luis to experience, I'm sure. During his first weekend at drill a group of them (in uniform) went out to lunch. After they ordered a worker let them know that someone in the restaurant had paid for all the soldiers' meals. Then, during drill this weekend, a military support organization came to his unit and did a presentation and brought with them donated items from their warehouse, food, clothes, shoes, school supplies, etc. The soldiers went through and got some things. Luis said that when he said thank you to a worker she said something along the lines of, "No, thank you for serving." The donations are a sign of gratitude for the soldiers. I get emotional just hearing things like that because up til now I was on the other end of it... now we are part of it. It's just great to see how much support the soldiers and their families have. The organization is looking for volunteers and I am hoping I can help. So, I am on my own for a bit... hoping I can stay positive during our separation. I am setting goals and there is a lot I want to get done while Luis is gone... I think staying productive is going to be important. My neighbor's husband is deployed right now, and we are good friends, so it's nice to be around people who know what you're going through... and everyone at church is very supportive. It helps to know Luis won't be anywhere dangerous and that he will be having fun learning a lot. But... if anyone wants to come visit while he's gone... that would be awesome ;)

1 comment:

Megan said...

This is great! I'm glad that it is a humbling experience for you! I'm glad you have so much support behind you in this! Good luck in the next 3 months! I would LOVE to come visit you!! Wish we had the money!