Sunday, January 30, 2011

Best cupcakes I have ever tasted!

I went to my friend's birthday party the other day and we had these delicious chocolate cupcakes! They were truly AMAZING! I asked her for the recipe and wanted to share it with you all! I will post it just as she emailed it, with all her tips.

Here it is!

I just used a regular devils food cake from the box as directed (devils food is a little richer than regular chocolate cake mix) then after they cool, just hollow out a hole about the size of a quarter and almost as deep as the cake (if you hit the bottom it's ok) with a knife. Remove that piece altogether (nice snack size bites for later) and then fill will the ganache:

12 oz. (aprox. 1&1/2 cups) bittersweet chocolate (I used a mix of bittersweet chocolate and semi sweet chips because that's what I had on hand)
1&2/3 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup butter (optional)

If using bars of baking chocolate, process in a food processor untill broken up and fine. If using chocolate chips, a rough chop will do.

In a double boiler heat the cream to boiling point (don't let completely boil). remove from heat and slowly add chocolate. Stir constantly until smooth and shiny texture. Add butter and continue to mix in until smooth. Let cool to thicken.

Spoon the cooled mixture into the cupcakes. Frost tops and let set. I put them in a fridge for a little bit before serving just to set the ganache but you don't have to.

I used a white chocolate cream cheese frosting for the top but a buttercream would be good too or a nice chocolate (chocolate over load) frosting would be good too.

White Chocolate Cream Cheese frosting:
12 oz.white chocolate
2- 8oz. pkgs. cream cheese softened to room temp.
1/2 cup butter
1/8 cup lemon juice (optional)
2 cups powdered sugar

melt white chocolate in a double boiler (or microwave in a glass bowl...works fine, just watch it close not to burn it). Let it cool completely
beat the cream cheese until smooth
Add the melted (and cooled) chocolate
mix in the butter and lemon juice until smooth.
Slowly add powdered sugar until it reaches the consistency you want (might use less than 2 cups)

* this makes a lot so you could try 1/2 the recipe.


If you guys try it, let me know how it turns out for you. I haven't made them myself yet... but I hope I can make them as good as she did!

1 comment:

Kaylee said...

I'm so gonna try these!! I have everything except white chocolate so I will add it to my list!