Thursday, May 16, 2013

Choices

Luis and I are trying out a new parenting style... and we are loving it. I am going to do a whole post on this next week. But for now I just wanted to share a Jackson Funny. Part of the new parenting style involves giving the children plenty of choices and opportunity to make good decisions. Luis has been really good at doing this! Even little things like, "Would you like PB and J or quesadillas for lunch?" or "Would you like to wear your coat or carry it today?" Well, we were getting ready to go to the Y the other day and I told Jackson to go find his shoes. He came back with one black shoe and one brown shoe. I told him he needs to go find 2 shoes the same color and he said quite patiently, "But Mom, this is my choice!" I had to laugh... and an internal battle began! "What? He can't wear 2 colored shoes! People will think I can't afford a real pair of shoes! It doesn't match his outfit!" I was getting all worked up inside and had to take a deep breath and think about what we've been learning as parents. So I calmly told him he could wear one brown shoe and one black. He was so happy! He wants to wear them like that all the time now! It's funny... and I guess it really doesn't matter what color his shoes are... but I did call up Luis immediately and say "Look what you have done to our child!" :) Can't wait to share with you all some of the great things we have been learning and the source! Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Aubry said...

lol you have to learn to not care what other people think(easier said then done)! thats too funny he wants to wear 2 different shoes!