Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Potty breakthrough!

I have been really struggling with Jacob lately... he has been potty trained during the day for over a year and potty trained at night since we got back from our Christmas vacation. He has just always done great with this. Lately he has been having 2 sometimes 3 accidents a day!!! It is very frustrating... all those stinky clothes piling up! It's not like he's regressing... it's just that he has gotten lazy and doesn't want to stop what he's doing to go potty! I see him start "dancing" and I remind him that he should go potty. He doesn't want to... I am really uncomfortable with the idea of forcing him to go potty, I really think he needs to make it his choice. But I also don't like getting my carpet peed on. I also don't like the idea of an avoidable accident going "unpunished"... so I have been telling him to sit on his bed after an accident because I don't know if he is going to pee on my floor or not. Then today... it clicked! The same situation came up. He was dancing and I suggested he go potty. He said no he doesn't want to go. And I reminded him that if he has an accident he has to sit on his bed.... then I realized that him sitting on the bed AFTER the fact has no impact on him! So using the love and logic techniques I have learned I gave him a better choice! I said "Jake, I can see that you need to go potty... I really don't want you to have an accident on my floor, so would you like to go potty now or would you like to sit on your bed to play so that you don't pee on my floor." He chose to go potty! I was thrilled! It worked! He was so proud of himself and came out and told Jackson "I did it!!!" It was way cute and I felt victorious! I let him choose and got the outcome I wanted! No more accidents!!!

2 comments:

Megan said...

Great job Rachelle!! I really need to look into Love and Logic! I'm just too lazy.... Glad you worked it out! :)

Josh and Steph said...

I'm glad you were able to tackle this! And also glad I can read about it to get all the tips and tricks for when we cross these bridges;)