Sunday, June 3, 2012

Chocolate Licorice and more memories

I miss Grandma so much already. I was walking through Walmart the day after she died and I saw chocolate licorice up by the register. I bought it and sat in the car with the boys eating it and I just cried. I remember how much I loved it as a kid and Grandma ALWAYS bought it for me. Even as an adult she would have it waiting if I visited... I didn't like it very much as an adult, but I never could bring myself to tell her that because it was just such a tradition. The night we heard the news, Luis and I stayed up talking about funny memories of Grandma.... how she would yell things out that were completely unrelated to the conversation because she couldn't hear! I remember when we were growing up and we would get growing pains or something, Grandma would always rub our legs or our arms. That is such a sweet memory. I remember always having family prayer in Grandma and Grandpa's room, all kneeling at their bed. Oh, one of my earliest memories of Grandma... I m ust have been very young but I stayed with Grandma and Grandpa after a visit. THe rest of the kids went home with mom and dad to Sacramento... but I got to stay behind. One morning I woke up and was all alone... I kept walking around trying to find Grandma but I couldn't. I was so scared and I just sat down and cried. Finally grandma walked in with grocery bags... she had gone to the store and thought I would sleep until she got back. Looking back I laugh because that event was so classicly Grandma!!! I remember doing puzzles. I loved doing puzzles with her. And her ribs!!! OMG I love her ribs and homemade barbeque sauce! I wanted to take all of Grandma's recipes a few years and type them up, but she didn't want to part with them... some of them are hand-written by her mother. I know all of us would love her recipes... maybe now I can do that. I am happy to know of the Plan of Salvation. I have always believed it and found comfort in it... but it really hits home now. I know that we will be with Grandma again someday and that she is going to do a great work on the other side of the veil. How wonderful that she can be with her family gone before... how awesome for her! I will never forget how much she loved and was so concerned for all of her family members. She is a cherished part of all our lives!!! I love you Grandma!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is perfect Rachelle! I've been trying to write a post with pictures of her since Thursday and I just feel like I'm not saying it right. I love these memories too! I miss her soooo much!!