Friday, January 4, 2013

Luis' Quilt

Surprise! I made Luis a quilt and he had no idea... that's the surprise! That I could keep a secret from him that long! :) Making Luis quilt was fun, but it was very rushed... This was a joint job... Silvia embroidered 12 blocks with beautiful wolves and I quilted them into his quilt. I love the fabric I got from Christine's shop! The back of the quilt is like fur! I love it! It was really messy to put together... I had to vacuum up after each time I used it. I made his quilt in about a week. As the week was going by I realized I'd better hurry!!! I quilted 10 hours the day before we went to Charlotte to get it all done and didn't even finish quilting it until Friday afternoon before he got home from work and we started to drive! So we showed up to Charlotte with an unfinished quilt. Silvia got Luis out of the house and Liz helped me bind it with a honeycomb stitch on her home machine! I'm so thankful she had one! It was hard for me to be okay with machine binding it... instead of doing it by hand... but by that point I was just too exhausted... I made 2 quilts start to finish and finished 1 in the first 21 days of December! I am all quilted out! But I have more projects coming up so I better get over it! Luis didn't know I was making him a quilt... so when he asked me to make a quilt for his grandma last minute... I had to put his on hold... Bottom line is I was incredibly busy and had a very sore back from hunching over my machine! I will say though, Nana's quilt and Luis' quilt are the first ones I've made that are completely done on my home machine! No long arm! It was fun. Here are some pics... I forgot to take close ups of the wolves... so I will do that soon. I will also post pics of Nana's quilt when I get home... I am enjoying some time with Mom, Dave, and Ethan in VA. More on that later! Here's the quilt. He was very surprised and it made me really happy to see him curled up on the couch with his quilt!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow!1 You amaze me that you finished all of that before Christmas!! Go Cara!:) It looks great! You should do a tutorial on how to bind a quilt and also machine sew it instead of binding it. I hate binding by hand, but maybe I'd start making quilts if I learned how to bind on a machine:)