Friday, April 26, 2013

Kindergarten Info Night

Last night I went to the info night at the Elementary school. It was very exciting for me! I sat down in the cafeteria and was so emotional! I can't believe Jax is going to school already! Well, in the fall. The school he is going to is small, but it has a good reputation. There are 3 kindergarten teachers and I met all of them. They all seemed great. We got a tour of the school. The classrooms are so cute! There are 2 normal classes and one Multi-age classroom which is a mix of kindergarten and first graders. They are together most of the day but separate out into grades for math and reading. So they say it is not better or worse academically than a regular classroom... I think the benefit is that they get to be with older children. I think this would be great for Jax since he is so big... and honestly he will behave better if the children around him behave well. And I'm just assuming that 1st graders are more well behaved than kindergarten... but maybe not! You have to request to be in the Multi-age classroom... what do you guys think? They also have a gifted program. The child is in a regular class but for reading and math hours they are pulled out and they do those classes in the gifted classroom. I think Jackson might be selected for that because he can count way higher than is expected, he can read many words already, and knows how to write. One thing we will be working on is writing his name with a capital J and lowercase letters. He needs to work on that. It was a great night and gave me a little more info about what to expect. Now I'm so excited for him to start school but we have to wait all summer!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will tell you now, 1st graders are not more well behaved than kindergartners!! I go into Brynnan's class every week to help out and it is always crazy! Their poor teacher! I think it just depends on the kids in the class really. Brynnan's teacher has a lot of ADHD kids I think, which makes it hard for everyone. I'm excited for you too!! I remember when I signed Jonas up for school. It's such a fun milestone. It sounds like the mixed age class would be good for him though. I'm sure he'll do great in any class though! :)