Friday, July 9, 2010

Homemade baby food

Silvia and I made Jacob some baby food today! I buy the Beechnut brand for 48 cents for a jar of level 2. Well, peaches were on sale for 48 cents a pound and they were so ripe and good! So we got about 3 pounds and blended it up. We put it in little baggies and froze it. Since I didn't store it in jars I don't know exactly how many it would have filled, but it looked like it could have filled up 20 jars! An amazing amount of money saved! And it was fun... can't wait to make another kind soon!

3 comments:

Olesia said...

I used to make Sara fresh baby food all the time! It is really easy and cheap. Pears are so easy, especially if they are ripe all you have to do is mash them, and it helped when sara's teeth were coming in too because the pears I guess numb them a little. She also loved sweet potatoes or yams. I baked it in the oven and mashed them up. I bet Jacob is loving all this nice food!

Anonymous said...

How awesome!! Did you get them at a stand or something? Peaches here are like $1.50 a pound at the grocery store:P I never buy them because they're so expensive.

I've wondered about trying the whole making baby food stuff, but WIC has changed their program so babies get baby food each month after they turn 6 months. You should really apply for WIC and medicaid!

Kaylee said...

I wanted to do that with Jesse, but never got around to it. Maybe I'll try making some for Malaya. She's almost old enough to start eating food!!