Sunday, May 1, 2011

Time Out For Women

...was amazing! I am so happy that I went. For those of you who don't know... it is basically a 2 day conference for women put on by Deseret Book. It was so much fun. I drove to San Antonio with 2 of my friends and met up with many more there. It was funny because there were actually some men in the audience... not cool. We don't go crash priesthood session... stay out of our conference :) Kidding, but it was kinda weird. We stayed at the Crowne Plaza on the riverwalk, Bethany got an amazing deal... and we were able to have dinner at an Italian restaurant on the Riverwalk. I was on a major budget so I had a teeny tiny salad. I figured since I am doing P90X, it helps me save money and eat right :)Plus, the Riverwalk is very expensive! On Friday night Sheri Dew spoke which was so wonderful. I have never heard her speak and now I know why she is as popular as she is! I loved it. I learned so much... I wish I could type everything out for you guys! I went over all my notes with Luis and shared some of what I learned but it isn't that same. You know, the moment I walked into the room the very first time, the Spirit just hit me, so hard! There were 2400 LDS women in one room! Amazing... all waiting to be spiritually fed! I imagine this is what being at the Conference Center for Genereal Conference would be like. We learned a lot about our identity, meeting God's expectations (which are very high by the way :), female friendship, and becoming the women we are meant to be! There was so much music involved too! The first night the musical presenter was Dallyn Vail Bayles... This is the first time I ever heard him but he was amazing. He a lot of church music but also sang "Bring him home" from Les Miserables (He sang on Broadway in Les Mis and Phantom, so needless to say, he was amazing). There were many speakers the next day and I can't remember their names. I do remember one, Kris Belcher. I can't believe her story. She shared about overcoming her trials. She went blind 7 years ago and has an amazing story of coping and learning to realize Heavenly Father's love for each of us! Such a good example and it made me feel like my trials are nothing, at least I have my sight, hearing, a healthy body!!! The musical presenters the next day were... get this... Jericho Road! Ha, it brought me back to my middle school/high school days when I owned their CDs... I still remembered the words to some of the songs they sang! At one point, they were kind of making fun of themselves for being a boy band, which they are proud of. Then started to sing songs from other popular boy bands, Boys II Men, Jackson 5, NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK!!! You should have seen that room of 2000+ middle aged women turn into 12 year old girls again! It was hilarious... anyway, they are very talented singers and we had a lot of fun. I didn't win any of the prize raffles they had- I never do! If any of you ever have the chance to go, GO! It was so worth it. It was spiritual but so much fun at the same time. IF you imagining an atmosphere like General conference... very serious... you are totally wrong! What a blast! I am going to go the next time they come close to our area. I left with a completely new resolve to be a better mother/wife/servant of the Lord!

http://deseretbook.com/timeout

2 comments:

Kaylee said...

That sounds like a lot of fun! I saw in the deseret bok catatlog that it's gonna be here in Reno. Maybe i'll be able to go!

Aubry said...

That sounds really cool. Is it like womens conference they have in Utah every year? A bunch of ladies in my ward go to that. I wish they had yours in San Diego! Sounds like a really fun time!